Saturday, August 22, 2009

My first 5K :)

I'll get the details out of the way first, then on to the fun stuff. I ran the entire time, yup you read that right, the entire time. I use the term "run" very loosely. Especially considering at one point and old lady speed walking passed me. But still the whole time and I had enough left to sprint the last tenth of a mile. It felt pretty good. I completed it in 41 min, 42 secs. Which was under my goal of 42 mins. So now onto the fun stuff.

And the long awaited debut of The Shirt:

Yeah it says "HONK" on the front :)


Left sleeve: Liz Baykur


Right sleeve: Liz W.


Not many people read this since everyone was in front of me for the most part, but I had to show y'all (and myself) a little love.


This is actually the home stretch just before the finish line. That lady behind me, yeah she was in front of me up until that point. Booyah!

And this is before that previous picture, chronologically. There was a portion of the race that took us down into campus. Here is a link to the registration flier so you can see the route we took:


And now to be serious/mushy for a moment. I feel like I say this at least once a week on here but you guys are the reason I keep going. You guys are the reason I ran the entire race today. Putting your names on my shirt was my way of having you guys there with me. I know we all have struggled but know from my part I can't say enough how you guys have helped me stick with this and know that I am here for you both, not just in running but in life. I love you both very much.

Can't wait to hear how the rest of y'alls weeks are going. Week 5 Day 1 for me tomorrow!

Matt



6 comments:

  1. YAY!!! I'm SOOOOOO FREAKING PROUD OF YOU!! That's just awesome. And I LOVE the tshirt. :) And our free advertising of our blog on the back haha. And Amanda has made phone photo taking skills. :)

    I'm so glad we're all doing this together - I'm definitely waiting impatiently for our first run together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of all three of you, but today... Matt, you're the star!

    Running the whole time? Awesome.
    Getting in under your goal? Awesome.
    Orange HONK shirt? Awesome.
    Shout-outs to yuor friends? Awesome.
    Just being Matt? Awesome.

    Plus, you look FANTASTIC these days! I'm really really thrilled for you. I love you, Matt! Keep up the good work :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Gosh. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!! Ditto to what Liz said about the shirt. LOVE IT. And yeah, props to Amanda for the pics!!

    I am so thankful to have you guys; I can't wait til we can race together!!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the props guys! We need to pick a race and like write that shit in stone.

    Tiff, thanks, i feel fantastic too, which is a nice change. The shirt is red btw, not that that matters. you guys have been great so thanks for the support and lets keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry. It totally looks like a deep orange on my screen :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. no need to apologize, i noticed that too though

    ReplyDelete