Saturday, August 29, 2009

maybe I should be more specific....

Okay, so Matt has run in the rain a couple of times now, and every time I think it's going to rain when I run, it doesn't. So I was totally looking forward to running in the rain. So much so that when I went to sleep Thursday night, I was hoping that it was going to rain when I ran on Friday. When the dogs woke me up about 6:30 it was a nice rain and I was okay with that and thought it would be nice to run in. When I got up a couple of hours later, it was POURING. Well, I asked for it, so I might as well run in it, right? The minute I walk outside, it stops. For about 30 seconds. And then the heavens opened and I was soaked soon after. I rain in TORRENTIAL rain. And I kinda liked it. ;) But I was definitely hoping for a lighter rain haha. But the best part was that as I was running, I passed a house where a nice looking elderly man had come outside with his umbrella in his red flannel pj pants and a beige sweatshirt to get his paper and says to me, "A little wet today, huh?" I just answered with a smile, "Yes, sir!" Haha - that was definitely the good moment. :)

Now on to the actual run....oy vey. It was difficult, that's for sure. I was betting on about 40 minutes or so to get through both the warm up and cool down walks and the actual 2 miles. The first mile went pretty well - the second mile, now that was the hard part. I had to stop a couple of times and stretch out my calves a little bit. They were just not happy with me. So as I was going down the street and looking at my Nike+ wristband counting my mileage, I kept thinking that I was going faster than I really was and I should just circle back so that I wasn't doing a forever long cool down walk back to my house. I circled around about three times haha. My first mile was a pretty good pace, but the second mile was definitely the old man shuffle, without a doubt. I think that was the first time that I was really incredibly ready to be done.....oy vey! So I said I thought I'd get done in about 40 minutes, right? Oh it was 34:24 minutes for 2.58 miles and 371 calories burned with an average pace of 13:18 a mile. Yay! I wasn't happy about the stopping and stretching parts or the old man shuffles (I set some high expectations for myself sometimes), but overall I was happy with myself. And the rain? Oh, yeah - this is what I looked like when I was done:


The shirt grew a few sizes, for sure - I promise it's not that long! Nor is it that dark - this is a really light grey shirt and baby pink shorts, not that pretty regular pink color. (If you can't tell, I promise there was a definite color change!) I'm excited to see how much improvement I get done next week just b/c it's more running and a longer distance. My goal is to pick up my pace and to get at ease with running outside. So we'll see what happens!:)

And on a completely unrelated note, FSU's first game is against Miami on Labor Day and in honor of that I bought a new tshirt. I liked the front and never unfolded it to see the back until just now when I got home and got even more excited about it when I saw the back. So here ya go Matt! :)

Front Back

GO NOLES! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hell yes running in the rain is awesome! And that was pretty brave of you running in a lighter colored shirt like that. You definitely win the wet t shirt contest for today. But don't get too comfy, I have some pretty awesome wet t shirt contest skills.

    That shirt rocks! and the back is especially bad ass. We for sure need to go to at least one game together this year and maybe watch a cpl on TV together sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! Sometimes old people are so cute!

    Yes, you win the wet tshirt contest for today, I agree with matt. :)

    You made great time!!! Honk!!!

    ReplyDelete