Thursday, March 25, 2010

3 miler

I went to the track today after work and ran. During the week I haven't been running all that far since the River Run and today I wanted to run longer than 2 miles or so. I went into the run thinking 3 miles and about halfway through I wanted to not only not do 3 miles but stop and walk. There is a quote out there that says something like "the pain of losing is temporary and the pain of quitting lasts forever" That is essentially how i feel when I run. I can deal with the pain that I feel when I run or God forbid the pain of putting up a slower time than I would like but to quit and not finish a race or to a lesser degree stop to walk, would be too much for me. Is that extreme? probably. Does it keep me motivated? absolutely.

Liz and I have been talking a lot recently about why we keep running. Why this is something we have stuck with when we've quit other exercise routines. The biggest reason I've stuck with this is I'm doing it with two of my best friends. They have kept me motivated and knowing that someone else is going through the same pains as you and the same triumphs as well, really helps.
Coming in a close 2nd for me is my competitive nature. Except this time I'm competing with myself. I set standards for myself and push myself so hard that if I don't achieve them I still have accomplished something great. But not achieving them is not an option. Stopping and walking today was not an option. Is it healthy emotionally or mentally? maybe not. But I'm going to keep running because of that mentality and until my body won't let me anymore, that's the way its going to be.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for blogging and being such an inspiration. I am so proud and blessed to be able to call you my friend. Stick with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pushing yourself beyond what you or your body might think it can do, is both mentally and physically good ! Do you hear yourself? the since of pride and accomplishment that you have. How can that not be good for you? Physically loosing 60 or 75 lbs can also be only a winning proposition. Keep up the good work ! there are those of us that STAND IN AWE....love you

    ReplyDelete