Monday, November 9, 2009

Timed Run

This evening I took a little different strategy with my run. Since my time at the last 5K was 35:48, I decided to set my Nike+ to 35 mins and see if I could do 3.1 miles in less than that. This new strategy must be taken with a grain of salt given that my Nike+ might be off but none the less, I did it!

I ran 3.11 miles in 34:42!


I was so pumped! and yet soooooo tired. My shirt was soaked, my legs were on fire and during the run I had multiple side stitches. I also wanted to quit several times but didn't. There is a quote from Lance Armstrong that I'm going to paraphrase that I really feel sums up my running philosophy. Lance says basically that pain is temporary, whether it lasts a minute, hour, day, week or year, it will end. But the pain of quitting, that will last forever.

Some days I fail at this attitude and cut a run short. But when I'm at my best and most determined, I. Will. Not. Quit. When I'm at my best and most determined, if I stop running, either I've crossed the finish line or I'm passed out on the ground from exhaustion.

This is how I feel about running. Like I said, I don't always succeed but the pain from quitting sticks with me and pushes me to do better.

Matt

Nov 2: 2.27
Nov 4: 2.75
Nov 7: 1.7
Nov 9: 3.11

Total: 9.83

1 comment:

  1. Well just look at you, you crazy runner, you! :)

    So proud - HONK!

    ReplyDelete