Saturday, June 19, 2010

There's a first time for everything

I made it to the double digits! I *finally* walked/ran at Stone Mountain (I know I've been saying I was gonna do this for a while, but I totally did it!), and it was really nice. The loop around the mountain is 5 miles and I just needed to do two loops and I'd have my 10 miles. I took 3 bottles of water (no need to be dehydrated!) and froze two of them halfway and the third, my Nalgene, 3/4 full. In the morning I filled it the rest of the day with water, that way it'd stay cold while I ran. I left my second bottle by my car tire so I could just pick it up and switch out the water bottles when I was halfway done. Then I'd have a cold drink left in the car when I was done with the run.

The route was really nice actually - most of it was in shade and it was more fun on the first lap because there were more people out. The second lap had a lot less people haha. I'd have to say it was fun just because I enjoy people watching while running. :) For example, one lady cyclist passed me probably 3 or 4 times, no doubt. Then there was a guy who wore a PRR tshirt from 2007 and on our 2nd passing he was like "You're doing a good job" and gave me a thumbs up. Of which I smiled and said "You too!" Then on my second lap these two ladies walking together stopped me and asked me if I was on my second lap. And I was. And the other lady was like "You're going 10 miles?!" Of which I totally said yes haha. It was just really funny. Their faces were in total shock haha. There were also some running etiquette issues with some ladies being plain rude and not getting out of the way for oncoming runners on the sidewalk. As in, they're walking side-by-side and then stay that way and only turn slightly for me to run by. So rude! But most of the people were courteous people. Who knew the walking/running etiquette. Yay for polite runners & walkers! :)

The back 3 miles of the mountain has the most shade (go figure), but the road also turns into a one way road for vehicles. The other lane is split in two - one for bikes and one for pedestrians. And then there's the sidewalk. I just really enjoyed the shade and whatnot. :) But the road itself went up and down in varying degrees the whole time - some short inclines and some a little more steep (I mean, I am running around a MOUNTAIN for goodness sake), but totally doable. It was good since I haven't really practiced hills and the Peachtree Road Race had got a couple pretty killer ones.

It seems that it doesn't matter the distance, but when I know I only have one mile left, that last mile is KILLER. It could be 3 miles or 10 miles and that last mile will be the one that is the most obnoxious and hardest to finish. But let me tell you, when I got back to my car, I dumped the rest of the water from the first bottle on my face and it felt sooooooooooooo good! I was worried that my body would have the same result that happened after the 15k - it would be painful to just move. But thankfully it only felt like it normally did after any other run. I was sore in the same places, but it wasn't like I couldn't move. I also thought that maybe today would be also painful and sore, but it's just the normal soreness. I'm so proud of my body! :)

I went into the 10 miler knowing that I wouldn't be able to run the whole thing, and the cool part is that I was okay with it. I ran most of it and I was proud of that. And I've never gone this far before! I've said since the beginning that once I got to the 10 miler and did that, THEN I'd be impressed with what I'm doing just because I've never gone that far before. And I'm totally proud of myself. :) I'd like to run more than walk, and I'm still going to try for it, but I'm okay with the fact that for the marathon I'll probably walk some it. :) Which is a long way from where I used to be. I used to get really upset and mad at myself if I didn't accomplish what I set out to do on a run. Now I revel in what I do and I'm happy with what I accomplish on a run. It's a definite turn around from the beginning.

So yeah, this was really freaking long. Sorry bout that. Now here's moving on to next week, whether it's a repeat or not! HONK! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment