Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Dear Bandwagon,

I'd like to get back on, please.

I can't believe how bad I've been at this lately!! My apologies to blogs I've failed to comment on (I have at least read them all). Honestly, it was one of those crazy transition times where I nearly forgot my name, much less to exercise and/or blog. Plus having mono made it harder to get anything done. We had our end of year retreat that we had to half plan and run near the end of May, then we had to write speeches for our end of year dinner, then I started feeling ill two weeks before our house inspections and move out. I went to the CVS MinuteClinic twice in those two weeks (which was actually a really great experience all things considered, surprisingly). I ended up not giving my speech at the end of year dinner, because that was around the point if I could have elected to have my tonsils removed I would have, and they looked like they wouldn't have minded it either. Honestly, it was probably horrifying to anyone who isn't a nurse. To me it was fascinating, but I showed two of my housemates and I swear one of them almost gagged. I'll be honest, that part was pretty validating, and then I didn't get any grief from anyone about bailing on speaking. Ok, I'll be honest, public speaking might be in my top 5 least favorite things on the planet, and getting that one perk out of being sick for two and a half weeks straight seemed due. :)  But then the next morning I had to drive home. Which was honestly awful. I thought it was going to be fine, that I was just kinda tired with a sore throat, nothing that would impede driving. But about 20 minutes before I left Chapel Hill I got a stomachache, I hadn't eaten breakfast, my car was packed completely full, I also had my bike on the back that just seemed not quite stable. I stopped and got a gingerale and some mints and tried to at least get a little sugar in my system. I felt like it was a combo of taking advil on an empty stomach and having congestion from my head draining into my stomach because the swelling in my throat was FINALLY abating a little bit. I'm sure you all really wanted to hear all that. But anyway. The stomachache started to resolve after about 2 hours, and by the 4th hour I was able to eat some baked veggie chips, but by that point the bike situation was making me more and more nervous. In fact, by the last hour of the trip I was literally talking aloud to my bike, reassuring it that we only had X number of miles left, and telling my bike rack to hang on and that it was doing a good job. After a little over 6 hours, me, my bike, and all the rest of my stuff made it home.

And then I got my appetite back and went out and got the most delicious gnocchi on the planet.

Since then I have gone to two doctor appointments before my coverage ran out, tried to switch phone plans, looked at apartments, tried to clean out some of my stuff with little success, got some banking issues resolved, and managed to do a little cooking. All while going back and forth between Cory's place and mine since he has been on vacation this past week so we could hang out.

Tomorrow, I leave for the beach with my mom and my aunt! I am pretty excited, but feel a little bit distant from that feeling, like I SHOULD feel more excited than I do. Last year when I went to the beach, I still had not adjusted to a daytime schedule, and I spent a lot of time sleeping in the day, or trying to get up but being grumpy and out of sorts because of it. So this time should be an improvement. Mmmm, books and laying around and the sun and the ocean and eating out!

Speaking of books, anyone have any suggestions??

Alright. I'm done with my completely unrelated to anything about exercise post. But hopefully, I'll post at the beach after I get some good walks in! And if I'm really on my game, maybe they'll be another photo walking tour!

HONK!

3 comments:

  1. Dude. You've had quite the eventful past couple of months! And I can relate to the talking to the bike part. I've definitely talked to inanimate objects plenty of times. Legit.

    Anyway, I hope you get some good walks in! And of course we all love pictures. :) Enjoy your beach time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lamb if you haven't read it. It's really good. I was in the middle of reading Me Talk Pretty One Day, but then school happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Well, the walks didn't really happen haha, as you might have guessed from the lack of posts, but hopefully SOON I'll have an apartment and can get into a routine.

    ReplyDelete