Monday, March 7, 2011

Back in the saddle, on the wagon, and all those other euphemisms.

I ran today, which isn't the first time I've run since the Candlelight Tour Run, but the first time I've run with purpose and excitement. I've really wanted to get back out there and get running again, but my motivation has been pretty thin lately. I really have to credit today's run to three different things: 1. My best friend from high school, Susan, has started running and we were hanging out with with another one of our high school friends and she made a good point about running - it's mind more than matter and to just set your mind on it and go for it. 2. Lent is starting this week and part of Sarah B's Lenten discipline will be to run more. Which made me want to run more myself. 3. It's just about dang time that I get out there. So between my two great friends and myself, I found myself at the gym today.

All day I was telling myself that I needed to go run, either outside or at the gym. Not only is it good for me to run, but the Rose City Run is at the end of April, followed shortly after with the Peachtree Road Road Race and I really want to be ready for both. The few sporadic times that I have run lately I haven't run very well, and I just took Susan's advice and told myself that I would run a mile straight without stopping. Which may not say a lot, but I really wasn't sure that I could do it anymore. It probably sounds funny since both we've done so many races, but I thought that I would have to start back at the beginning and work my way back up to longer distances. Thankfully I now know that I can do it and I'm pumped to start working on my distance even more. :)

So here's to all three of us to getting back on the wagon, back in the saddle, lace up our shoes once again and be even more awesome than we already are. HONK! :)

1 comment:

  1. Way to go!! Maybe I can follow your "mind over matter" example and hope on the wagon as well! :)

    ReplyDelete